Thursday, October 21, 2010

In a Digital Age, Students Still Cling to Paper Textbooks

The title is pretty self explanatory. I guess it's the context. We always get scolded for avoiding the libraries and turning to the internet. But I value textbooks... I tried to keep my psychology textbook from high school because I loved it so much (and I considered a major in psychology). I used my textbooks in my gen eds to the full potential. Like they said in the article, you can't get a virus- the words will always be there.

However, I suppose it's for research papers. It's just so much more convenient to find what you need for that one paper, as opposed to going to a library and finding it. I depend on my textbooks for gen eds because it's so structured- straight facts, stats, and graphs. But for research, I find it a lot easier to go to the internet. I'd go to textbooks and books if I had them right there so the only reason I avoid the library is for convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment